- Urad dal (whole) : 1 cup
- Idly rawa : 2 cups
- salt : to taste
- oil : for greasing
Preparing idly batter:
- Soak the urad dal in enough water for 4 to 6 hours and drain.
- Blend the urad dal in a mixer/grinder till smooth and frothy (add water little by little as required ) remove and keep aside.
- Wash idly rawa and keep aside
- dal paste and idly rawa together in a bowl and cover and keep aside to ferment overnight(9 to 12 hrs).
- Once the batter is fermented add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Add water for about half inch level in the Idly cooker
- Pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and put it in the idly cooker
- steam for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- To check whether the idly’s are cooked touch one idly with your finger tip,if the batter doesn’t stick to your fingers then the idly’s are steamed properly
- Now off the stove and leave a minute and take out the idly’s with a spoon from the moulds
- Serve hot with peanut chutney /coconut chutney/gun powders & ghee/sambar.