- Bendakaya- 1/4 kg, wash, dry, nip the ends and chop into small pieces (Bhindi/Okra)
- Onion 1, finely chopped
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Cloves - 5, lightly crushed OR 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- Dry red chilies - 2, tear and de-seed
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil - 1 1/2 tbsps
- Clean and Chop the okra into half inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce heat to medium flame
- add the mustard seeds, let them splutter, add the cumin seeds and let them brown. Add the curry leaves, dry red chilies and garlic cloves, stir them for few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent. Add the okra and turmeric pwd and combine. Saute on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Reduce to low flame, add a tbsp of yogurt or lemon juice (to reduce slime) and let it cook for 4-5 mts. Saute in between so that they don't burn.
- Reduce flame and cook till the okra turns soft. This could take about 15-20 mts of slow roasting. Season with salt and turn off flame.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or rotis.