- Cardamom piece : 4
- Chicken Big pieces : 500grams
- Basmathi rice : 2 cups
- Water : 4 cups
- Chilli powder : 2 tsp
- cinnamon : 1inch piece
- Cloves : 4
- coriander leaves : a bunch
- coriander seeds : 2 tbsp
- curry leaves : 20(2 sprigs)
- Fresh coconut : cup
- Fried cashewnuts : 10
- Shahjeera : 2 tsp
- star anise : 1
- Ghee & oil : cup
- Ginger garlic paste : 2 tbsp
- Green chillies : 4
- Onion : 2
- Poppy seeds : 2 tbsp
- Salt : according to taste
- Turmeric : 1 tbsp
- yoghurt : 1cup
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak it in water for 15 minutes before cooking.
- Place water for cooking on a high flame. When it comes to a boil, lower the flame to medium and add in the soaked rice. Allow the rice to cook till it turns tender. Drain out the starch using a strainer.
- Cover the drained rice and allow it to absorb the remaining moisture and fluff up. After about 5 to 6 minutes, remove the lid and keep aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a kadhai on a medium flame. Add mustard and jeera and allow the seeds to splutter.
Next, add the chana and urad dal and saut? till they begin to change colour.
- Add the green chillies, red chillies, curry leavesand the Turmeric Powder, and saut? for another minute.
- Turn off the flame and pour this tempering over the cooked rice.
Add the salt and grated coconut to the rice and mix well.
- Next, sprinkle the juice of the lemon over the rice and mix well again.
- Cover and let the rice stand for 1 hr for the flavours to seep in completely.
- Serve with coconut chutney and papad.