- toor dal/kandi pappu : 3/4 cup
- thotakura leaves : 2 cups
- onion : 1 big
- green chillis : 3
- turmeric pwd : 1/4 tsp
- lemon sized tamarind
- water : 1 ½ cup( exactly double to dal)
- For tempering/poppu/tadka:
- Oil or ghee : 1 tbsp
- mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Asoefetida : a pinch
- split black gram dal : 1/2 tsp
- channa dal : 1/2 tsp
- red chillis : 3
- garlic flakes :5
- curry leaves :1 sprig(8-10 leaves)
PROCEDURE 1 (quick one) :
- In a pressure cooker add toor dal,water,turmeric,onions,green chillies,amaranth leaves,tamarind pulp and pressure cook
- Add salt to the cooked dal and mix well
- Heat oil in a pan to prepare tadka/popu by adding mustard seeds,cumin seeds,split black gram dal,channa dal,red chillies,crushed garlic,curry leaves,hing and fry
- Pour the tadka on the cooked dal
- Thotakura pappu is ready to be served with hot rice or rotis
PROCEDURE 2 :
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and channa dal and let them brown. Next add the garlic, red chillis, curry leaves, chopped onions and green chillis and saute till onions turn slightly pink.
- Add the thotakura and stir fry for 3-4 mts. Add the turmeric pwd and salt and combine. Cover with lid and cook till the greens cook .Using the back of the ladle, mash the contents slightly.
- Add the cooked and mashed dal to the onion-thotakura mixture. Cook for another 4-5 mts on medium heat.
- Add the tamarind extract and combine well. Cook for another 10 mts or till the rawness of tamarind disappears.
- Serve with white rice or hot rotis.