- urad dal : 1 cup
- green chillies : 3
- ginger : 1/2 inch
- curry leaves : few
- coriander leaves : few (finely chopped)
- cumin/jeera : 1 tea spoon
- onion : 1 finely chopped
- salt : as per taste
Preparing Vada batter :
- Clean and soak Urad dal for 4 to 5 hours.
- Drain and grind smoothly in a mixie or a grinder by sprinkling water in between.
- (although it is not possible for all,batter prepared by a grinding stone or a grinder will be very smooth and fluffy)
- Now add finely chopped onions, green chillies, ginger paste, salt. Jeera, chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well and keep it aside.
Making idly :
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan for deep fry. Now take a small ball of urad dal mixture and place it on a plastic sheet. (apply water if necessary to the plastic sheet) Make small circle and make a hole in the middle with your finger.
- Now carefully drop the vada in the oil. Fry until golden color. In the same manner you can make remaining vadas. Serve hot with Sambar and coconut chutney or any other chutneys(see chutneys and pickles for chutney recipes.)